Friday, February 4, 2011

Elide

Foreword:
For some reason when I saw this word, I thought of the part of Firework in this video at 0:40 
There's also another song that reminds me of this word... but I can't remember atm. (at the moment)

Definitions:
Princeton says:
(leave or strike out) "This vowel is usually elided before a single consonant"

Webster says:
transitive verb
1
a : to suppress or alter (as a vowel or syllable) by elisionb : to strike out (as a written word)
2
a : to leave out of consideration : omit
b : curtailabridge


My input:
I'll probably use this as a substitute for omit.

Pronunciation: El sounds like ill, rhymes with mill, fill. Ide rhymes with slide, sounds like lied.  
Webster audio

Synonyms
Princeton has none, so I assume their definition has a nuance that omit does not.

6 comments:

  1. So does this only apply to written words? I couldn't say, for example, the defendant elided details from his testimony?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wondering that too, wether or not it only goes for written words

    ReplyDelete
  3. @hom: well I'm using it in place of omit when I think of it. Because I like the word elide more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm gonna start using this just for fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. kind of like a verbal synonym of elite. at least, i'll remember it that way!

    ReplyDelete